Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The problem with being in the city

Today I'd like to highlight one of the major problems with being a tourist in the city. Carrying things. Yesterday we went to the Queen Victoria Market in the pouring rain, necessitating a raincoat along with my fleece, gloves, and scarf. This raincoat ended up stuffed inside my large purse which was already weighted down with the following:
  • Water bottle - hydration, clearly important
  • Notebook - for all the info and blog notes
  • Granola bars - for snacks
  • Wallet - for money and cards
  • Knitting and knitting book - for the train ride
  • Sunglasses - in case the sun comes out
  • Pens - for writing stuff
  • Phone - for calling people
  • Mp3 player - also for the train ride
  • Tissues - for my sniffles
  • Cough drops - for my throat
  • Map - for finding my way
  • Banana - for lunch
  • Camera - for photo-documentation
  • Alfalfa sprouts - also for lunch

Then we went to the Queen Victoria market and I added to my burden:
  • A heavenly 20-cent orange
  • A passionfruit
  • Numerous souvenirs

Unwieldy to say the least. The boys opt to carry their bookbags everywhere. However, they do not appear to be immune from the "but I'm going to be in the city all day so I should bring this also" problem. Jared went to pay at a restaurant the other night and the following items had to come out of his pockets before he found his money.
  • Wallet
  • Large ipod
  • Chapstick
  • USB drive
  • Mints
  • Pen
  • Notebook

All this makes me think that it would be truly useful to be a marsupial and have a nice little built-in pouch for carrying all my stuff around.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think this problem is unique to tourists, I'm well known with my co-workers for having everything in my purse. Sometimes they will ask me for random things like scissors to test this.

    ReplyDelete